Children- and family-friendly activities are at the core of the annual Week of the Young Child celebration in Reno County. Week of the Young Child is April 17 through 23.
While there will be events all week, the celebration hits a high note during Hutchinson’s Third Thursday on April 20.
Events for the week include:
Monday, April 17
- Explore the wonderful world of art at Hatch Studios, 416A N. Main St., from 3:30 to 5 p.m.
- Little Makers in Makerspace at ESSSDAK in the Hutchinson Mall from 5 to 8 p.m.
Tuesday, April 18
- Story telling at the Hutchinson Public Library, 9th and Main, from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Wednesday, April 19
- Parents As Teachers Playgroup at the Hutcherson Center, 330 Charles St., from 10 to 11 a.m.
- Marvelous Music of Nature at the Dillon Nature Center, 3002 E. 30th Ave., 3:30 to 6 p.m. Music will be made in the Playscape with items found in nature, and families will make a sound shaker to take home. Families are asked to call the Center at (620) 663-7411 to sign up.
Thursday, April 20, Third Thursday in Downtown Hutchinson
- Touch A Truck, all evening at Avenue A and Walnut. Little ones will be able to have a hands-on experience with safety, medical and other community helpers.
- Family Children’s Theatre presents Enchanted Forest in the Large Gazebo at Avenue A Park on the half hour, beginning at 5:30 p.m. with the last one starting at 6:30 p.m.
- Scavenger Hunt for Head Start and Early Head Start, beginning at the Head Start/Early Head Start table on Main Street.
- Create a color masterpiece at Lit Studios on Fifth, 803 W. 5th Ave., from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Information booths throughout downtown Hutchinson from local early childhood programs.
- Hutchinson Kennel Club Therapy Dogs will be downtown well during the evening.
Friday, April 21
- Treasure Hunt at the Early Education Center, 303 E. Bigger Ave., from 9 to 11 a.m.
Saturday, April 22
- Family Health Fair in the Sunflower South Building on the Kansas State Fairgrounds from 8 a.m. to noon
Sunday, April 23
- An afternoon at the Hutchinson Zoo from 2 to 4 p.m. Includes a free train ride on the Thunder Railroad.